Have you ever heard of the Silver Falcons?
You haven`t heard of the Silver Falcons before? Well, think of them as Africa`s most aggressive, technical and breathtaking aerobatic display team. These guys are bad news.
They are a very organized team from the South African Air Force with a mission to enhance the image of the South African Air Force, encouraging recruitment and instilling national pride through public display. Most people call them the “cockpit ambassadors” due to their wealth of experience with aerobatic displays. They have logged countless hours of massive, high profile displays. This year alone during they have performed in several events of South African national interest that include:
Armed Forces Week in Durban in February
The Navy Festival in Simon’s Town in March
The opening weekend of the Rand Show in April
Richards Bay on April 27 for Freedom Day
The AirFest and Zwartkop air shows in East London and Pretoria in May.
- June was a busy month for them, with performances at the Low-veld, Newcastle and Airlink Adrenaline air shows in Nelspruit, Newcaslte and Pretoria respectively.
- This year they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary with a reunion and an airshow at AFB Langebaanweg, the team’s home base.
- The date for the celebrations has already been bookmarked and finalized – 24th November 2017.
- The airshow will be staged at the Western Cape base on December 9 and will serve as a further reminder of the contribution made by the Silver Falcons to military aviation in South Africa.
The program line up
Remember the program will be in two – a REUNION event and an AIRSHOW.
- According to the current information, on Friday the 24th of November the program for the reunion will include a display by the current Silver Falcons, team 81, at AFB Langebaanweg. This program will be for all past team members, including ground crew, and their spouses
- This will be followed by an informal gathering at the Langebaanweg officers’ mess – an opportunity for many old friends to catch up.
- The following day sees the official reunion in the form of a dinner at the Langebaanweg Country Estate clubhouse.
- Silver Falcons aircrew and invited guests will attend what is planned to be an unforgettable occasion with each guest receiving a special gift to commemorate the half century anniversary.
- The reunion ends on Sunday with an informal breakfast at the same venue – another chance for team members to spend time with each other.
- December 9 will mark the day of the airshow at AFB Langebaanweg. This will be the first airshow staged at the base for 22 years!
- This airshow event will be open to the general public
- It will be a significant one with a program allowing the current team to perform its full range of displays backed by displays by other military and civilian aircraft
Who will attend?
- The reunion will be a closed function with only past and present Silver Falcons as well as invited guests present. Invited guests will include SA Air Force dignitaries as well as representatives of the team’s primary sponsor, National Airways Corporation (NAC).
- These reunions are fantastic events as they bring together people, who despite possibly never having met before, share a unique and distinguished connection – having flown formation aerobatics in a Silver Falcons aerobatic display team.
- Only members who have had this honour will understand the significance of this brotherhood, forged through many hours of briefings, practices and displays and many days of deployments spent together.